Seven of us showed up in the sandy parking lot at McAlpine Elementary on Monday. Mighty Mite had promised a new kettlebell program and he more or less got it. Here’s what went down.
Warm-up: SSH, Windmills, etc.
- 6 sets of 5+5 military press (that’s 5 per side)
- 8 sets of 10 swings EMOM, alternating sides
- Complex: DCL x 8, DFS x 5, DCL x 5, DFS x 3, DCL x 3, DFS x 1
- Double deadlifts for 4 sets of 5, merkins on the bells for 2 sets of 10, lawnmowers for 4 sets of 7
- Farmer carries for :90 x 2
- Mary: hard style elbow plank until time expired
- Grow Ruck Training Event – first weekend in August. It should be a good crew, so get signed up if you’re interested.
- Crane Relay – August 13th in Ballantyne. Check Slack/website for sign up information.
- #cobains for taking so long to get this backblast out there. I’d give you an excuse, but it’s not really excusable.
- As noted above, we decided to retire the doubles program we’d been running since the beginning of the year. I’m still working on writing up the new program, but the thought was to take portions of the SFG Level I training we did early in 2020, but to modify it to allow the Q to make some of their own choices. That will basically mean there are some sections that are more or less fixed (similar to the doubles portions of the recent workouts) and some that allow the Q to come up with their own exercises. Hopefully that will keep things fresh week to week.
- The title of the backblast relates to the fact that Mighty Mite pointed out Monday was the Summer Solstice, which is the longest day of the year. That seems like something a Druid would know.
- It was good to have War Eagle back out for some bell work. I know he likes to mix it up and hit a bunch of workouts, so we appreciate him joining us.
- There was a bunch of sand in the parking lot and Uncle Leo informed me that it had been piled high a few weeks earlier when I was DR. Apparently, they’re putting it on the soccer fields. All I know is that I’ve got 2 huge shoe prints of it in my (dirty) car.