13 pax experienced the dawn of a new day in South Charlotte yesterday with the launch of the newest gear workout and the first workout of the new strength program. As you’ve undoubtedly heard if you’re reading this backblast, there will be 3 strength workouts a week going forward: Mondays at McAlpine Elementary (Swole), Wednesdays at Cavalry (Meathead), and Saturdays at Elizabeth Lane Elementary (Olympus).
The Thang (along with recommended weights):
|Single presses: 6 x (5 press ea side@ 20kg)
|1H swings: 16 x (10 swings OTM @ 28kg)
|Farmer’s walks: 4 x (90 sec @ “heavy”)
Thanks to Udder for the takeout in COT.
- Aside from the aforementioned other gear workouts, I don’t recall any other announcements. #cobains Post below in the comments.
Ye Olde Moleskine:
- First off, I’d like to thank several people. Thanks to Mighty Mite and Ickey Shuffle for agreeing to co-site Q the new Monday gear workout. Thanks to the pax for coming out to a gear workout on a relatively chilly day. It was good to see some old and new faces and to have such a strong crew. Hopefully you found the workout worthwhile and plan to stick with it. Thanks to the leadership (old and new) of F3 in South Charlotte for supporting a new site and helping think through the approach to strength workouts in the region.
- If you didn’t come to Swole because you don’t have a kettlebell, don’t worry, we’ve got enough to share. If you’re worried that you don’t know what you’re doing or that you’re going to hurt yourself, please come on out and we’ll get you started. While not professionals, we’ve got plenty of experienced pax out there that would be happy to give you some tips. While it is certainly possible to injure yourself with a kettlebell, that’s true of just about everything we do in F3. Be smart, learn the technique, and select an appropriate weight.
- Now for the workout: With only 3 exercises, how hard can it be? Speaking of my own experience, the presses weren’t too bad (I used a 20kg/45# bell). A rest interval wasn’t prescribed, but the expectation is that the pax won’t rush the strength work. The swings were tough due to the weight (28kg/62#) and the number of reps – you definitely feel it in the grip. I think all would agree that the Farmer’s walk finisher was the most grueling, particularly on the 3rd or 4th round. :90 is a long time to be carrying the bells. Sound off below with your thoughts.
- Most pax seemed to enjoy (or at least respect) this straightforward workout composed of basic exercises. It’s a staple of this program, so we’ll be seeing more of it. Hopefully the pax will continue to push themselves to use heavier weights as they get stronger.
- Wednesday will be tough with deadlifts and heavy double cleans and squats. Oh, and some overhead carries. Get your mind right!
- Check out Slack for some kettlebell deals posted by Madison. It seems like he might be hooked…