Welcome to the long-awaited Makeshift Marathon 2020 PreBlast. Before we get into it, a little housekeeping…
Disclaimer: This is not an official event and is not sanctioned by F3 or FiA. There will be no road closures, medical professionals, safety personnel or public safety officials. Race organizers will not be held liable for any accidents, injuries, illnesses, deaths or medical emergencies experienced during or after Makeshift Marathon 2020. Participation is at your own risk. By registering for and/or participating in this event, you agree to these terms and conditions.
Good times! When a PreBlast leads off with a disclaimer you know you have something exceptionally #CSAUP on your hands.
So, what is this? Simply put, a contingent of local runners who had their Fall races canceled put their heads together and developed their own race in Waxhaw/Marvin/South Charlotte. Several options are available, including a full marathon, marathon relay (any number of teammates), half marathon and 10k. Ruckers are welcome. There will be aid stations with water and participants will have the opportunity to have their own fuel/hydration waiting for them at each station.
Why? For the love of the sport, and to provide like-minded family and friends with the opportunity the race like it’s not 2020, while raising funds for a good cause.
Who? Open to members of F3, FiA, family and friends. Please do not advertise/share on social media.
When? Saturday, November 14th at 7AM. In the event of inclement weather, the make-up date is Sunday, November 15th.
Where? Parking and race start/finish are in front of Kohl’s on Rea Rd. & Tom Short Rd in Waxhaw (601 Sherman Pl, Waxhaw, NC 28173).
- Map Link
- The course will be 6.55 miles long. Complete four laps for the marathon, two for the half marathon and most of one for the 10k.
- A device will be used to ensure the proper distance is measured, however the course will not be considered “certified” by any governing body.
- It will be marked with flags and/or cones and temporary spray paint but we encourage all participants to study the course thoroughly.
- The course is mostly flat. There is a subtle incline on Ardrey Kell Rd. and a subtle decline on Tom Short Rd.
- Please note that there will be no road closures or safety personnel. There are sidewalks available throughout the course and it is recommended that you use them. It is also highly recommended that you wear safety gear such as bright/reflective clothing and blinkies.
- There are two crossings of Rea Rd. per lap. The course has been designed so that you don’t have to cross at a specific spot. You will have a window of 0.1 to 0.3 miles to cross at will when the road is clear of traffic. With any luck, you will not have to stop to wait for traffic during the race.
- There are three aid stations per lap, averaging one every 2.18 miles.
- 8 oz disposable water bottles will be provided at each station. Sports drinks (Gatorade, Powerade, etc) will NOT be provided.
- Participants will have the opportunity to drop off their own fuel and hydration and have it waiting for them at each station. More details on this to follow.
- Any non-disposable items left at aid stations will be returned to start/finish after the race to be claimed.
- Timing: Participants are responsible for timing their own races, although we will have a volunteer marking down each person’s start and finish time just in case.
- Parking: Park in the Kohl’s parking lot (601 Sherman Pl, Waxhaw, NC 28173)
- Bathrooms: Nearby bathrooms include the Starbucks and CVS in the Kohl’s shopping center and the Chick-fil-A at the corner of Rea Rd. and Ardrey Kell Rd. Please note that there are NO port-a-johns available on the course or in the start/finish area.
- Registration Fee: the fee is $40 and covers the cost of water, course marking materials, shirt and contribution to a fundraiser (details below). For simplicity we are NOT varying the fee by race distance selected. The fee will be collected via F3 SOB’s PayPal account. More communication on this to follow.
- Fundraiser: The registration fee will include a $20 donation to Christ’s Closet. Christ’s Closet is a local organization with the mission of showing God’s love by providing free clothes to those in need. Our donation will be put towards a 24 foot trailer which will enable quick mobile giveaways with just two men and a truck. Ice 9 and Shop Dawg are our liaisons within Christ’s Closet.
- Event Shirt: The fee will also include an event shirt. We are targeting a short-sleeved performance shirt.
- Food and hydration will NOT be provided after the race. Participants are highly encouraged to bring their own.
- Other items that you are encouraged to bring for after the race include a blanket (body temps drop quickly after a race in the cold), a change of clothes and a collapsible chair.
- Even if you are not interested in racing, please consider pacing a friend, volunteering, or the sleep-in option (where you support the race/fundraiser with your funds, receive a shirt, but do not run)
- Volunteers: we need volunteers to help with aid stations, timing, course marking, photography and singing the National Anthem. Reach out to Tuck if interested.
Click HERE to register.
Click HERE to sign-up for a volunteer timeslot