Swift will be leaving the new Ballantyne Corp launch point at 0515 on Tuesday for Round 3 of Marathon Pace-minus-10 (MP-10).
Here’s the plan:
- 0445 – Early crew heads off for distant lands for Warm-up and extra intervals. Swift will not be joining them this week on their route.
- 0515 – MAIN PACK heads off from parking lot near Bagels+BrokenBones (aka OrthoCarolina Ballantyne) for a 10minute warm-up ending at the top of Bagpipe Hill (aka Ballantyne Corp bridge over 521). Will commence with 5 minutes of drills.
- 0530 – “DOUBLE” option x 2 will be led by YHC. Start Interval of 14 minutes at Marathon-Pace-minus-10 (see notes at bottom for more on this pace), 6 minutes recovery on the Loop shown here: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/28592317. Basically it’s starting in front of SPX, down to the Premier deck (Left before the deck), Right behind the deck, Loop around the putting green, and Back to SPX building the way you came in, Looping in the far side of the SPX lot and pass the fountain to come back out the front of the lot to do the loop again by taking a Left on Ballantyne Corp. We will regroup all of the PAX and head back to the same start again in front of SPX. Complete two total 14min intervals.
- 0530 – “SINGLE” option x 4. Start Interval of 7 minutes at MP-10 (see notes at bottom for more on this pace), 3 minutes recovery on the Loop described in the “Double” option. Start each 7min interval at the same place in front of SPX. Intervals 1 & 3 will start with the FULL group of Singles and Doubles.
- 0607 – “DOUBLE” group will be in the middle of 6min recovery, “SINGLE” group will have their last 3minute recover. Regroup all of the PAX.
- 0610 – Option #1 – Continue recovery back to launch point
- 0610 – Option #2 – More MP-10 for 5 minutes back to launch point
- 0615 – COT with Bagpipe.
Notes on Marathon Pace minus 10:
These intervals will be run at “MP-10”. This means at your goal marathon pace, minus 10 seconds per mile. If your goal marathon pace is 8:00/mile then your goal pace for this workout would be 7:50 per mile.
Don’t have a goal marathon pace? Well then use this Race Calculator (click for link). Enter a recent race effort (Distance, Finishing Time), click Calculate, go to the Equivalent tab and look at Pace/Mi on the row for Marathon.
If you’ve been a Swift regular and recall Threshold Pace (aka T-pace, aka Comfortably Hard, aka Lactate Threshold), MP-10 ends up being slower than Threshold and somewhere near half the difference to Marathon goal pace.
Here are some other thoughts about the target effort for this MP-10 Strength workout, “So, usually through a combination of running too fast and not maximizing the recovery jog [during a Strength Workout], they get to the 3rd or 4th one and realize they’ve dug a hole they can’t get out of. Remember, Speed Work [which we are not doing this week] usually brings acute discomfort. It’s usually an eye opener from the get go. Strength workouts [that we are doing this week] should sneak up on you. The same effort for the last few should feel fairly hard compared to the first one or two. That’s when you’ve done it right- think slow cooker. You are slowly building that lactic feeling. Never fully recovering from the repeat prior and letting the discomfort slowly add to each successive repeat.“