The shovel flag was planted in the middle of the Day Zero Proving Grounds when 24 men and 2.0s set off into the gloom in anticipation of the coming pain. Here’s what we did:
Baby jog around the field and to the flag for a little COP:
- SSH – 25 (cadence)
- Merkins – 20 (cadence)
- Squat – 20 (cadence)
- Circle run – 1 minute
Fear the Whistle – group jog around the track and every time Q blows the whistle, perform stated exercise.
- 1 whistle – 10 burpees
- 2 whistles – 15 merkins
- 3 whistles – 20 LBCs
The whistle was blown a lot. The Q seemed to favor the 1 whistle call for 10 burpees the most.
At the end of the first 3 laps, a little stop off at the playground for some called out exercises.
- Lap 1 – 30 dips
- Lap 2 – 20 CDDs
- Lap 3 – 20 incline merkins
We ran 4 laps total. At the end of lap 4, a little circle up at the flag for plank-o-rama. Hand off to PHaze.
Purple Haze Q – X marks the spot for Chestplosion:
Partner up, size does not matter. Partner 1 performs called exercise at the flag while Partner 2 runs out to corner of field to complete called exercise. Flapjack. We hit all four corners. We ran hard.
- Round 1 – Squats in the middle until partner returns. Corner 1 – 20 decline merkins on wall. Corner 2 – 20 CDDs. Corner 3 – 20 wide-arm merkins. Corner 4 – Bear crawl up hill from bball court then plank on the rails for some rail slides back down to the field.
- Round 2 – Jump squats in the middle until partner returns (crowd pleaser). Corner 1 – 20 incline merkins on wall. Corner 2 – 10 Mac Tar Gai. Corner 3 – 20 narrow merkins. Corner 4 – 20 supine pullups on rails.
Circle up for Mary
- But first, 10 diamond merkins OYO
- Flutters – 50 (cadence), hold it for 10 count
- Rosalita – 30 (cadence), hold it at 90 degrees, then 45, then 15
- Groiners – 10 (OYO)
- Any chatter that existed after COP was quickly squashed during Fear the Whistle. As stated above, the Q seemed to favor the 1 whistle call for 10 burpees. Not sure if it was really the desire to do the burpees or if O2 deprivation caused an inability to blow it more than once. Regardless, the Pax probably did about 60 burpees during the 4 laps. Add to that the merkins, LBCs and called exercises at the playground and the first 30 minutes seemed to go on forever. #firsthalfpummeling
- When we started the laps, it seems we ran off a non-English speaking Chinese guy that had shown up earlier this morning to walk some laps around the track. However, he did lurk in the trees and kept poking his head out to see what we were doing. We invited him to join…but that seemed to fall on deaf ears. #cultureshock #languagebarrier
- With The Hoff actually being scheduled to Q this morning but scratching to join Radar for their elitist ruck training, PHaze thought is was appropriate to call for a bunch of chest exercises during the 2nd half. Needless to say, all the Pax left looking more like our barrel-chested brother and we all wished that our new Area51 shirts were sleeveless. #thepump
- The call for jump squats during Round 2 was met with some groans. By the time we were done, the jumps looked more like calf-raises and the runs the corners looked more like the old Chinese-guy’s walk around the track.
- One unfortunate incident: PHaze left the flag behind in his haste to tweet and fellowship at Starbucks. Thankfully, Busch saved the day and returned it at coffeeteria. Got a feeling that PHaze is looking at some serious burpees at tonight’s pig pickin’.
- Pig Pickin’ tonight – 5 to 9 at OP Elementary.
- #F3Dads at Camp Thunderbird coming up in August. Check out the website for details.
- Co-site Qs Radar and PHaze have the Day Zero lead next week. Stay tuned to Twitter and F3Nation.com for details of what is sure to be a crusher.
About the author