This is McGee posting on Lobsta’s behalf.
GO PATS. Yeah, yeah, I know. I missed the last time I was supposed to Q. Whateva. Time to make up for lost time, sort of like what my boy Gronk is going to have to do after he gets back from his suspension. GO PATS
Mosey to the parking lot for a warmup
10 x Tom Brady – this is where we all simulate how to properly inflate a football GO PATS
10 x Bill Belichek – this is where we all start in a squat position and then stand up and walk out, kind of like he did at that press conference because he’s a complete and total badass GO PATS
10 x Gronk – this is where we all line up and hit each other completely legally but we take a rest afterwards anyway GO PATS
That’s all you need, fellas. Brady. Belichek. Gronk. Game ova. We just circled up afterwards and complained about the snow. It was a wicked good workout. GO PATS
1. Yo, I got a new twitta handle. Doan get me wrong, I neva go on twitta, but I got a new one anyway – @ghost
2. TClaps to all of the strong dudes out there today. I mean, not PATS strong, but pretty strong anyway.
3. Oh yeah, sorry guys, I forgot all about the Sox. GO SOX
See yous guys in the gloom next week. Nah nah, I’ll be there, wearing my hoodie just like Belichek. GO PATS GO SOX GO CELTS
AYE. The PAX gathered in the gloom and 05:30 came and went without any floors being slapped. We were about to have a Q by democracy and Da Squids was explaining something about 4 stations and then YHC decided it was time to take charge. Not because DS would have done a bad job, but because YHC remembered that I had to pay penance for missing my Kevlar Q last Friday. For good reason, by the way, but still missing it. So here’s what happened next:
Mosey to lower parking lot, run a lap and then COP for SSH x 10 and Imperial Walkers x 10
Enough of that shiz
Mosey to end of parking lot and partner up
Partner 1 runs a lap, Partner 2 does stated exercise
Goal is cumulative total reps per exercise
Round 1 – 200 Merkins
Round 2 – 300 Jump Squats
Round 3 – 400 LBCs
Round 4 – 500 Mountain Climbers
Round 5 – 400 Sister Mary Catherines
Round 6 – 300 Flutter Kicks
Round 7 – 200 Jump Squats wait, nevermind, 100 Burpees
Finish out with a little bit of Mary – Heels to Heaven, High Slow Flutter, Jackknife
AYG to the finish line
YE OLDE MOLESKINE
That’s it. Something about a Christmas party and a 5k as well. #horseneck OUT
AYE. Just 9 gathered in the not-so-gloomy-actually-kind-of-nice Gloom for the weekly Anvil beatdown. YHC was figuring that this post would be the last for a little while since my 2.1 McCoy was planning his escape, but he is apparently still waiting to execute his plan and therefore I have time to write a BB. Here’s more or less what transpired.
2 burpees in honor of McCoy
Mosey to COP – some basic warmup stuff, you know, NBD
Mosey to new COP – 15 minutes of Mary, feet elevated the entire time (that was the goal, at least)
End it with 50 Mountain Climbers
With our cores fully smoked, it was time to destroy other body parts
Mosey to hotbox for lots of People’s Chair and leg exercises
At about this point, I could feel Raquel begging for some running, so I thought I’d oblige him.
5 Merkins to start
Run down the parking lot row parallel to the Aisle of Trees, do 10 Merkins
Run down the Aisle of Trees, do 15 Merkins
Run down the other parking lot row parallel to the Aisle of Trees, do 15 Merkins
Snake your way back doing 20, then 25, then 30 Merkins
And then do it again with Jump Squats
AYG race to the end of the parking lot then mosey to cars
10 burpees to finish
YE OLDE MOLESKINE
1. Y’all, Rachel is so fast. It’s not even right. The dude flies.
2. Lots of groans during the 15 Minutes of Mary, but I think everyone appreciated having their cores crushed. Even the folks who let their feet drop. #youagainstyou. Pretty sure at least Merman and Brills kept their feet up the whole time. Merman kept his feet up because he’s #dutybound and Brills is just sneaky strong.
3. Solid effort during the switchbacks. It was not fun for anyone, but the spread between the front and the 6 was actually pretty small. T claps to all.
4. During the People’s Chair, I asked for each member of the PAX to count to 10 before we recovered. Freaking Thunder Road must love People’s Chair because he took his sweet, sweet time. Very painful.
Another successful Anvil without using Entrance 4. #horseneck OUT
AYE. This one was ugly. After trading a few texts with the Keeper of the RockZero Rules (Flipper), and thinking that I was actually potentially going to stick to them, everything went out the window. I was planning on doing partner work, but an odd number of dudes showed up. And that thing about a minimum of 3 miles? I posted at IronTribe on Thursday and had my legs summarily decimated by 25 minutes of squat pyramids capped off with box jump burpees. I was so sore I could barely walk, much less run. So, in light of that, here’s more or less what transpired.
Run to the rock and pick out a lifting rock
Circle up – 1x Imperial Walker (for Gummy)
Various presses – chest press, shoulder press, tricep press
Suzanna – 25 Merkins, 20 Chest Presses (rock), 10 Squats (rock) x like 10ish
8 minutes of Mary with feet elevated
Run to picnic tables near the side of the church, audible for 50 Burpees OYO
Run to bottom of the entrance nearby – 10 Burpees at the bottom
Run all the way to the hotbox
Lots of People’s Chair and Balls to the Wall
10 Jump Ups, 20 Derkins, 20 Dips x 3
Run down to the bottom of the little walkway thing
Each trash can on the way down – 3 Burpees
Each trash can on the way up – 2 Burpees
Run back to rocks, Chest Presses, then put ’em up
25 Mighty Merkins with partner
Run to circle with fake grass – 10 Burpees
Run back to start for 2 minutes of Mary
YE OLDE MOLESKINE
1. Lots of chatter this morning. Lots and lots. I guess that’s what happens when you don’t run 3 miles and Gummy refuseniks literally every exercise, but, as already mentioned, my legs were fried so we maybe got 2 miles.
2. Nemo is fast. Really fast. Like, Raquel fast. But unlike Raquel, he appears to not want to do anything except run. Not sure how he’s going to have the guns to impress the new crop of #freshmeat at Covenant Day if he refuses to do a Merkin.
3. Good to see Swiper out again. He’s obviously had his head underwater with the new 2.0, but I’m looking forward to becoming well acquainted with the back of his shirt again.
AYE. 13 gathered in the Gloom for the weekly Anvil beatdown. This one was a bit different than normal. We were successful in our failure. Or, at least, we did not fail to fail. We certainly failed to succeed in not failing. Here’s more or less what transpired.
THE THANG – Failure
The rules – We do one exercise one time and we do it until we fail.
SSH x 100 in cadence (ok, it’s kind of hard to actually fail with SSH)
Diamonds x 25 in cadence + 25 OYO
Low Slow Squat x 50 in cadence
Merkin superset – 40 OYO x 4, run the parking lot between sets and while waiting for 6
Sprint to light post
Heels to Heaven x 25 in cadence + 75 OYO
Partner throws to failure
Sprint to other light post
Mighty Merkin Superset – to failure (at least 25) for each parter at each light post
Mosey to benches
Jump Squat – 25 in cadence + 75 OYO
Dips – 25 in cadence + 25 OYO
Mosey back to parking lot
Sprints to light post and back
Final 4 minutes of Mary – feet elevated the entire time
YE OLDE MOLESKINE
1. YHC has been scheming on a failure-style workout for a while. There’s some method to the madness. It’s well known that the benefits of exercise are non-linear. Walking 1 step is not 1/10000th as good as walking 10,000 steps in a day. This should come as no surprise since virtually nothing in nature is linear – the world is full of curves and calculus, not lines and addition. So my theory for this exercise is that going all the way to failure will deliver some dose of non-linear benefits. The final 10 Merkins to failure might be way, way better for you than 10 Merkins in isolation. I don’t know. It’s just a theory I wanted to test and I much appreciated the PAX coming along for the ride, (mostly) without complaining too much!
2. Hard to call out standout performances today because, you know, the point was failure, but Merman clearly can knock out some Merkins. Lorax destroyed the sprints. Raquel must not have been working too hard because he was preparing to go for a run as YHC was leaving.
3. Mermaid reminded everyone to bring food to a workout to donate. Dry beans, tomato paste and rice are fair game.