AYE. I had to be at a breakfast uptown at 7AM so decided to rework the WAMRAP to fit my schedule. But there’s more to the story than just that. I’ve speculated for a long time that it’s possible to get fit a 45 minute #beatdown into a 30 minute #smokefest. So, today, Alf and I tried it out. And it hurt.
Run to the first ramp in the parking deck
10 Jump Squats at the bottom
10 Exploding Merkins at the top
Count rounds with +1 Burpee each round
Once we hit 10 Burpees, we went back down the pyramid
On the way down, we did:
10 Monkey Humpers at the bottom
10 Diamonds at the top
Total of 100 Burpees
YE OLDE MOLESKINE
1. We actually moved up to the top of the deck at one point because Alf thought the air would be a little bit fresher, but that turned out not to be the case, unfortunately
2. Speaking of Alf, the dude just crushed BRR last weekend and was dragging me around today. I was ready to quit and start making excuses at 7 Burpees on the downside of the pyramid, but Alf wanted to keep pushing all the way through. I thought I was going to die but we did finish the pyramid with 2 minutes to spare.
See? Y’all missed a good time. See you next week at WAMRAP (COME ON)
AYE. As I ran up Ardrey Kell with Waverly in sight, deep in the pre-dawn Gloom, I was thinking about how much it would suck to be the only person at WAMRAP again. I didn’t mind it once. It was kind of annoying the second time. And the third time would probably cause me to throw in the towel. But, fortunately, that was not to be. As I was holding the plank position at exactly 5:30, Joker rolled up and just about ran over me. A few seconds later, Marlin pulled in. We had a quorum.
I’ve been asked many times about what WAMRAP is and how it works, so I’m going to take this opportunity to explain it – because it is ridiculously simple. 5 minutes of warm up. 5 minutes to commute and explain the workout. 30 minutes of As Many Rounds as Possible (AMRAP) on a specified circuit. 5 minutes to commute back to the launch site and cool down. That’s it, fellas. The Wednesday AMRAP = WAMRAP. Here’s what we did last Wednesday:
Warm up : 5 minutes of Plank
Commute : To the little traffic circle just south of the apartment complex
AMRAP : Run to the end of each road and back to the circle. +1 burpee each time you touch the circle. 25 Exploding Merkins at the end of road 1, 25 Jump Squats at the end of road 2, 25 Heels to Heaven at the end of road 3, 25 Freddie Mercurites at the end of road 4. All completed 3 full cycles = 78 total Burpees and 75 of each exercise
Cool down : Head back to launch, knock out the last 22 Burpees and Plank until the clock runs out.
When I first started posting at F3 back in 2011, most workouts were predominately circuit-driven, AMRAP workouts. Why? Because AMRAP has two extremely attractive advantages that align with the F3 mantra. First, they are you-against-you. Second, they leave no man behind. The fittest guys in F3 Nation can smoke their own asses at an AMRAP workout right next to an FNG who hasn’t exercised in 5 years. We all give 30 strong minutes of everything we can give. Fit guys do 5 circuits and the FNG does 3. But all are #smoked and all end at 6:10AM.
That’s all I got. I hope this clears up what WAMRAP is and why you should post. I’m not trying to take away anything from the other Wednesday workouts, particularly the one where I used to be a Site Q, but there needs to be an AMRAP option at least once a week for the A Listers and the Clydesdales alike. Hence, the WAMRAP.
See you in the Gloom.
AYE. Twelve (soon to be 11) posted at The Matrix for what turned out to be a for real #oldschool beatdown. YHC never quite knows how the workout will unfold until arrival, but upon seeing the PAX eager for AMRAP, I changed plans. Here’s more or less what transpired:
Mosey to lower parking lot
Warmup – Imperial Walkers, Plank-o-rama
Gather at end of parking lot behind the East island
Simple instructions – do the specified exercise at East island, do 1 more burpee at West island, lap back for the next exercise. Rounds were:
25 x Merkins
25 x Jump Squats
25 x Heels-to-Heaven
25 x Diamonds
25 x Monkey Humpers
25 x Freddie Mercury
25 x Widearms
25 x Romanian Deadlifts
25 x WWII Situps
10 x Pull ups
25 x Sumo squats
25 x Little Baby Twist
25 x Exploding Merkins
25 x Sister Mary Catherines
25 x Dolly
Totals – 120 burpees, 360 reps, 2+ miles
YE OLDE MOLESKINE
1. We had lots of strange behavior from the PAX today. First, PopTart emailed me last night at 9:45 to let me know that he would not be attending the workout because he was “celebrating” his anniversary. Dudebro, I do not want to receive any emails from you on your anniversary night. Just FYI. Second, OT showed up 5 minutes late because he claimed that he couldn’t decide whether or not he should wear a shirt. OT, always wear a shirt. Otherwise, you will leave puddles of sweat everywhere and someone will slip and get hurt. Third, Madison disappeared somewhere between rounds 3 and 4 without saying anything. He just disappeared into the Gloom. It’s a mystery. Sound off below so that we know you’re ok and to explain thyself.
2. For those of us who were actually at the workout and on time, it was a #smokefest. No Regerts was at the front of the pack for a while but got overtaken eventually by Gypsy. Christmas was only fast on the last sprint, after which he admitted to #sandbagging. At least he’s honest.
3. Much complaining about the burpees, but, personally, I think that’s the easiest way to knock out 120 burpees. I know, I know – I said 110 at the workout but realized later that I’d missed the mark by 10. Even with the 20 burpee margin of error over the required 100 at a McGee Q (that’s a legend and is not actually true), it’s doubtful that Prohibition got over 70.
4. No Regerts announced that his wife just opened a new bakery next to his tattoo shop in Matthews called Baked Well. This announcement explained why his name is No Regerts (get it? Tats you regret?) and also reminded me of some of my friends in high school, who were pretty always on a quest to be well baked. Anyway, I don’t think you can get well baked on the baked goods at Baked Well, but it’s worth a shot. Apparently the chocolate chip scones are incredible.
AYE. Much fun was made of YHC for posting solo to the soft (super soft) launch of WAMRAP last week, but I smoked myself with 30 minutes of solid AMRAP work on the deck. This week, two more emerged from the steamy, rainy, generally uncomfortable Gloom to join me for WAMRAP, which amounts to a 3x increase in PAX. Using my mathematical prowess to extrapolate our growth curve, I expect 9 souls next week. The week after, it’s reasonable to assume that we’ll have 27. For the official WAMRAP launch in three weeks, we’ll have 81. From there, 243. And, finally, by about the time the weather cools down and we’re all back in gloves, a modest 43,046,721 people will be posting at WAMRAP. I’ll be disappointed by anything less. The parking could get a little tight, but the camaraderie with 43 million PAX will be well worth it. After that, we might want to split the workout, but we’ll handle that when we get there. But today, with just 3, here’s what transpired:
4 minutes of Plank
Mosey to parking deck
Ramp 1 – 20 Jump Squats at the bottom, 20 Exploding Merkins at the top
Ramp 2 – 20 Freddie Mercuries, 20 Heels to Heaven
Ramp 3 – 20 Monkey Humpers, 10 Burpees
Close out with mosey back to parking lot for a tiny bit of Mary
YE OLDE MOLESKINE
With that, see you next week at F3’s fastest growing workout!
AYE. Today is a tale of two groups. The first are the 14 pax of Rock Zero. The second are the 2 pax of Area 51 who traversed over to Calvary because, I don’t know, I guess working out with just 2 people is awkward? Anyway, this backblast has to cover both groups, so here’s more or less what transpired:
Mosey to far side of the parking lot
SSH, Imperial Walkers, LS Merkins, LS Squats
Run to far entrance
Lunge walk the length of the island
Run to light at 51 and Elm
Runstopper & Co. talked smack about YHC’s shorts
10 “Boardshort” Burpees in retaliation
Rally up at Elm and Woodleigh Oaks
OT and Beaver arrive at Area 51 to find that all others have been abducted by aliens
OT – Well Beavs, should we stare deeply into each other’s eyes while we do partner squats or head to Rock Zero?
Beavs – I’d prefer the partner squats but we can go to Rock Zero if you want
OT – It’s a short drive. Only 15 minutes. I only like to work out for 45 minutes anyway.
Beavs – Ditto.
OT, already sweating profusely simply from moving his jaw muscles, leads the way to Rock Zero
But upon arriving, they find that group 1 has departed
Run the Woodleigh Oaks loop with 10 Burpees at each intersection – 80 Burpees total
Mary at the Clubhouse
Woodleigh Oaks with 10 deconstructed Burpees at each intersection – 10 Merkins, 10 Jump Squats, 10 Heels-to-Heaven
Mary and Plank-o-rama at the Clubhouse
Woodleigh Oaks loop with no exercises
OT and Beavs mosey around the church to confirm that, in fact, they are alone
21 minutes of Mary
18 minutes of 10 counts
1 minute of “sprints” at the basketball court
Head back up to Elm and 51 – 5 Burpees at the intersection
Run back to Calvary – 5 burpees at the church when joined by Group 2
YE OLDE MOLESKINE
AYE. 11 strong gathered in the Gloom for what they thought was going to be a Fire Hazard Q, but Mary Kay announced that he’d be doing an emergency substi-Q and would be repeating his last Rebel Yell weinke from a few weeks ago. At that workout, Mary Kay had extended the olive branch of q-ship to YHC for a date in mid-May and so I quickly took the reins. What follows is just a bare semblance of what actually transpired. It was harder and chattier than it reads.
Mosey to the Murderhorn – nah, nevermind.
Take a left onto the sidewalk along Elm
5 Burps at each little baby lightpost thingy
Plank & Merkins (also the name of a hip new brewery in South End) x 10
Circle up outside Jersey Mike’s
SSH x 10
Imperial Walker x 10
Time for the main show
At each speedbump:
Jump Squats x 10
Run over the huge ass hill
Merkins x 10 on the sidewalk
Plank at the end
Mosey to Sally’s Gifts, Lashes and Bongs for:
6 Minutes of Real Ass Mary:
Legs off the ground the whole time (100% compliance, FYI)
Flutta, X Cross, Box Cutter, Heels to Heaven, LBC, LBT, Pistol Crunch, etc
End with 50 cadence Mountain Climbers (50% compliance, FYI)
Mosey to other side of Ballantyne Commons in front of St. Mattholomew’s
Race around the block (0.9 miles)
Fast fools circle back to pick up the smart 6
Mosey back to the speedbumps
Same deal as the last time (over the hills and back) except 10 Burps at the sidewalk
Nevermind – just 5 Burps
Mosey to the front of the theater
AYG to the stop sign
YE OLDE MOLESKINE
Thanks for letting me lead. Er, thanks for not objecting when I took the lead.
AYE. An even 10 showed up for the weekly Rock Zero beatdown – err, I mean, it was a “light” day so it wasn’t actually that much of a beatdown. Just take a look at what happened. You’ll agree.
Mosey from parking lot to the fake grass semi-circle
10 x SSH
10 x Imperial Walker
Run over to the bottom of the hill at Five Knolls
Group 1 runs to the top while Group 2 does Merkins, flapjack
Repeat – but with Mary exercises
Repeat – but with leg exercises
Suicides to fire hydrant and then work back with 4 manhole covers
In other words, we ran this hill a lot of times and it was awful.
Then we ran it all the way to Rea Road on Five Knolls
10 Burpees at the end
10 Burpees at the next street up
10 Burpees at the street after that
10 Burpees at 51
10 Burpees at the island
10 Burpees on the other side of 51
10 Burpees at the entrance to Calvary
10 Burpees at the portico
5 minutes of real, legit, no feet-touching-the-ground Mary
10 Burpees to close it out
YE OLDE MOLESKINE
This is McGee posting on Lobsta’s behalf.
GO PATS. Yeah, yeah, I know. I missed the last time I was supposed to Q. Whateva. Time to make up for lost time, sort of like what my boy Gronk is going to have to do after he gets back from his suspension. GO PATS
Mosey to the parking lot for a warmup
10 x Tom Brady – this is where we all simulate how to properly inflate a football GO PATS
10 x Bill Belichek – this is where we all start in a squat position and then stand up and walk out, kind of like he did at that press conference because he’s a complete and total badass GO PATS
10 x Gronk – this is where we all line up and hit each other completely legally but we take a rest afterwards anyway GO PATS
That’s all you need, fellas. Brady. Belichek. Gronk. Game ova. We just circled up afterwards and complained about the snow. It was a wicked good workout. GO PATS
1. Yo, I got a new twitta handle. Doan get me wrong, I neva go on twitta, but I got a new one anyway – @ghost
2. TClaps to all of the strong dudes out there today. I mean, not PATS strong, but pretty strong anyway.
3. Oh yeah, sorry guys, I forgot all about the Sox. GO SOX
See yous guys in the gloom next week. Nah nah, I’ll be there, wearing my hoodie just like Belichek. GO PATS GO SOX GO CELTS
AYE. The PAX gathered in the gloom and 05:30 came and went without any floors being slapped. We were about to have a Q by democracy and Da Squids was explaining something about 4 stations and then YHC decided it was time to take charge. Not because DS would have done a bad job, but because YHC remembered that I had to pay penance for missing my Kevlar Q last Friday. For good reason, by the way, but still missing it. So here’s what happened next:
Mosey to lower parking lot, run a lap and then COP for SSH x 10 and Imperial Walkers x 10
Enough of that shiz
Mosey to end of parking lot and partner up
Partner 1 runs a lap, Partner 2 does stated exercise
Goal is cumulative total reps per exercise
Round 1 – 200 Merkins
Round 2 – 300 Jump Squats
Round 3 – 400 LBCs
Round 4 – 500 Mountain Climbers
Round 5 – 400 Sister Mary Catherines
Round 6 – 300 Flutter Kicks
Round 7 – 200 Jump Squats wait, nevermind, 100 Burpees
Finish out with a little bit of Mary – Heels to Heaven, High Slow Flutter, Jackknife
AYG to the finish line
YE OLDE MOLESKINE
That’s it. Something about a Christmas party and a 5k as well. #horseneck OUT
AYE. Just 9 gathered in the not-so-gloomy-actually-kind-of-nice Gloom for the weekly Anvil beatdown. YHC was figuring that this post would be the last for a little while since my 2.1 McCoy was planning his escape, but he is apparently still waiting to execute his plan and therefore I have time to write a BB. Here’s more or less what transpired.
2 burpees in honor of McCoy
Mosey to COP – some basic warmup stuff, you know, NBD
Mosey to new COP – 15 minutes of Mary, feet elevated the entire time (that was the goal, at least)
End it with 50 Mountain Climbers
With our cores fully smoked, it was time to destroy other body parts
Mosey to hotbox for lots of People’s Chair and leg exercises
At about this point, I could feel Raquel begging for some running, so I thought I’d oblige him.
5 Merkins to start
Run down the parking lot row parallel to the Aisle of Trees, do 10 Merkins
Run down the Aisle of Trees, do 15 Merkins
Run down the other parking lot row parallel to the Aisle of Trees, do 15 Merkins
Snake your way back doing 20, then 25, then 30 Merkins
And then do it again with Jump Squats
AYG race to the end of the parking lot then mosey to cars
10 burpees to finish
YE OLDE MOLESKINE
1. Y’all, Rachel is so fast. It’s not even right. The dude flies.
2. Lots of groans during the 15 Minutes of Mary, but I think everyone appreciated having their cores crushed. Even the folks who let their feet drop. #youagainstyou. Pretty sure at least Merman and Brills kept their feet up the whole time. Merman kept his feet up because he’s #dutybound and Brills is just sneaky strong.
3. Solid effort during the switchbacks. It was not fun for anyone, but the spread between the front and the 6 was actually pretty small. T claps to all.
4. During the People’s Chair, I asked for each member of the PAX to count to 10 before we recovered. Freaking Thunder Road must love People’s Chair because he took his sweet, sweet time. Very painful.
Another successful Anvil without using Entrance 4. #horseneck OUT