Twelve big, hairy, American winning-machines posted around the VSF and started the day with some mental math.
Number-ama: Count off into three teams or 4.
- TEAM 1: Joker, Callaway, Jamboree, Tiger Rag
- TEAM 2: Harley, Big Bear, Donkey Kong, 49er
- TEAM 3: Mall Cop, Cowboy, Smash, Countertop.
- Each team disperse and self-organize 5 minute warm up.
- Regroup to COP
- Mental Math Merkins: multiply two, two-digit numbers in your head while performing Merkins. Winner gets first pick of coupon (35 lbs plates or 45 lb plates). Five additional merkins for each wrong answer.
- Jog to track with coupons.
HAIRBURNER TEAM RELAY x 400 METERS
- RULES: Each Pax pushes plate at least once. Each Pax must also run at least one lap. Winner is first team back with plate and all 4 PAx.
- PRIZES: Winner=Planks; 1st Loser=5 burpees; 2nd Loser=10 burpees
4×100 COUPON RELAY
- RULES: None, Thunderdome.
- PRIZES: Winner=Planks; 1st Loser=5 Squat to Jump Knee Tucks; 2nd Loser=10 Squat Jump Knee Tucks
4×100 COUPON RELAY – BACKWARDS RUN
- RULES: Run Backwards.
- PRIZES: Winner=Planks; 1st Loser=5 Wide Arm; 2nd Loser=10 Wide Arm
4×100 RELAY – BACKWARDS RUN (sans Coupons)
- RULES: Run Backwards.
- PRIZES: Winner=Decline Planks; 1st Loser=5 Decline Merkins; 2nd Loser=10 Decline Merkins
TUG OF WAR (Plank)
- RULES: Tug of war from a 3-point plank position.
- PRIZES: None. Stalemate.
TUG OF WAR (Std.)
- RULES: Best 2 of 3 (Didn’t I say that aloud?)
- PRIZES: None, out of time.
TEAM SPRINT, COUPON OVERHEAD
- RULES: Coupon overhead, straight arms, uphill back to parking lot.
- PRIZES: Winners=Warm Fuzzies; 1st, 2nd Losers=You get nothing.
- Flutter x 20
- Dolly x 20
- Peter Parker x 20
- Plank x 1 min
- Took some lessons from the Go Ruck–problem solving, self-organizing, new leaders, team work–and applied an element of friendly competition. Good things all around.
- We started with problem solving: while doing merkins, do 18×17 in your head. Drop and try it. It’s almost impossible to do a slow thinking activity combined with something else. HERE is why (a review of the book, Thinking Fast and Slow). Other than Joker, it appeared that each Pax came to a plank to get it right. Some ignored obvious mistakes–it’s got to end in a 6, for instance. Since YHC was on Joker’s team, it would be interesting to hear how the other teams solved the problem.
- YHC’s love affair with the Hairburner continues, this time with a 400 meter lap around the track. Once the few rules were announced, the Pax were given abut 15 seconds to devise a strategy, then take off. The goals: think on the fly, work with what you got, adjust when necessary.
- More salutary effects derived from team competition: not wanting to let the Team down pushed many Pax to take it up a notch. T-Claps all around.
- T-Claps to Mall Cop for stepping up when tapped for a quick session of Mary. Area 51 Pax be prepared to step up a lead sections of workouts unannounced. ‘Tis good for the soul.