70+ guys came out to F3 Waxhaw’s “In-Vergence” celebration of our 1 year anniversary. As always in Waxhaw, we incorporate all 3 F’s into our big events:
- Fitness: 4 separate workouts (High-intensity bootcamp, 2.0 Friendly Bootcamp, 5k race/run, and MASH)
- Fellowship: Coffeeteria in the parking lot afterwards
- Faith: 2 local charities joined us on site
- We collected a FULL CAR of donated goods (Tarps, Sleeping Bags, Clothes) for Rice N Beans to help the homeless
- F3 delivered 2 checks from our 100 PAX Challenge
- Rice N Beans: $2,000 . . . Pastor Daryl talked about our PAX helping them feeding the homeless in Uptown on Tues/Weds evenings (families welcome)
- Christ’s Closet: $4,500 . . . Ice9 spoke about using these funds to get a mobile “boutique” to get more clothes into the hands of more people more often
But this workout also included an additional
unofficial 3 F’s that Waxhaw does really well:
- Fellowship sometimes stays at the surface . . . There are MANY Waxhaw PAX that are TRUE friends and it shows up in many ways
- Picking up the Six isn’t a “duty” when you genuinely know and care for that PAX
- CHALLENGE: Get to know PAX better by introducing/talking with ONE guy you don’t know well at EVERY workout
- We want to know your whole family
- Lots of 2.0s are frequently at our workouts and we had about 10 at this one
- One PAX also brought his 69 year old FNG dad (“Mancuso” after his deli shop’s #1 sub)
- When he came into the circle to tell us about himself, he got choked up
- He later told his son that he didn’t realize how much he missed this type of male camaraderie
- We don’t take ourselves too seriously
- Many PAX have been offended . . . only later to realize that it’s just
busting balls lighthearted fun
- Even “serious” matters like handing over a Site Q shovelflag and the Nantan role are met with short jokes
- Although Zin is actually not trying to be funny about Iron PAX Challenge on Twitter . . . He’s legit pissed!
MASH (A 0.0 workout which we offer Mon-Sat . . . Perfect for injured PAX and/or guys who can’t/don’t want to run):
- Mash was co-led by the three headed monster of Popeye Damascus and Ditka
- Popeye took the upper body, Damascus focused on the lower body (of course, that’s where the calves are), and Ditka focused on the core
- As typical for a mash workout, there was plenty of use of the custom-painted cinder blocks and bricks and modifying as well as needed by the participating PAX
- 9 guys took part this morning and we picked up a couple stragglers that finished the 5k before our hour was up
- This was a 5k so there were no fancy exercises besides the half mile warm up and warm up dynamic stretching
- The goal on this 5k was to offer a little something different with half trail and half road. So, the race included two loops of the middle school spirit trail and two loops in front of the middle school to hopefully keep the PAX in sight of each other and push each other
- A few observations from today:
- If you didn’t notice, there was a definite stall at the beginning of the race to try to get some daylight on the trail. The first loop was definitely a little on the dark side
- Gerber screeches like a girl and has weak ankles
- Hollywood pre ran 8 miles before his 5k, who does that?!
- Chastain says he can’t run more than 2 miles without hurting yet he finished third?
- Great to see Halfback out and looks like he’s been keeping up with his running
- Deadwood continued his hot week back in saddle with a strong 5k performance and will probably need to take another week off…
- Tuck and 2.0 might have made their first Cuthbertson appearance. Excellent father/son bonding
- Dana may like to ruck but he can also run, I see more running workouts in your future
- Posse, Mad Dog, Recalc, and Premature crushed it, you can see the Waxhaw Express workouts paying off.
- Fusebox kept circling back so actually ran a 10k, looks like we’ll be seeing you at Ignition on Monday.
- Ghosted’s first post was IPC and second post was a 5k race on our Anniversary. Way to stay on top of it.
- Great job Turnbuckle finishing the race and staying focused.
- Rockwell was honored when Dasher “voluntold” him to assist in leading the In-vergence bootcamp. With Glidah as his counterpart, they held a top secret meeting to determine the course of action (Ed. Note: “top secret” means talked briefly in a parking lot after a workout). The plan was for Glidah to lead a high intensity workout covering more distance while Rockwell tailored his to stay closer to COT and to be more 2.0 friendly
- Warm up exercises
- Some Dips, Steps Ups, Donkey Kicks and Air Jabs with a partner
- A series of 10 different exercises done with a timer (1 minute each w/ 20 second rest in between)
- And a card game with dice (Draw a card and roll the dice. The dice reveal the exercise and the card reveals the number of reps)
- Oh yea, and the highlight was a rockin’ playlist! You haven’t truly lived until you workout while jamming to songs like Macarena, Twist and Shout, Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It and Apache by The Sugarhill Gang!
- Glidah was a natural pick to lead the “High intensity bootcamp” . . . He has been in beast-mode for over a year and looks like
he needs a burger a Greek god
- Opening mosey of .75 mile with a stop along the way for the Six
- 4 corners of building a burpee x 8, 6, 4, 2 got the smoke show started
- Partner work at the stairs with Mike Tysons, Donkey Kicks and Big Boys made some people angry
- Rounds of table exercises with a full court bear crawl finished ’em off
- Welcome and kudos to Doozy from Richmond for being up front the whole time
- The young guns, Summit and FNG Ralphie, pushed hard as evidenced by the latter’s new merlot-esque nickname
Are you still reading? Announcements consisted of Goodfella handing over the Dromedary Site Q ShovelFlag to a well-deserved Premature and the Nantan
magic wand role to Bottlecap. BC then recognized the outgoing board members (Goodfella, Posse, Hollywood, Deadwood) and the current board members (Mad Dog, Chastain, Dasher, Zinfandel, Gerber, Centerfold, Shop Dawg). Appreciate their leadership.
3 THINGS YHC HAS LEARNED ABOUT F3:
- It’s not about you . . . Show up for another PAX. He needs to see/talk to you. You may be tired. You may not be at your best. But you just might make a BIG difference by showing up that morning.
- Lead something . . . Get in the mix. Lead a workout, a Site, a 2nd F event, a 3rd F service project, etc. This group needs your ideas and your passion.
- Get involved in all 3 F’s . . . You are missing out if you think this is about a workout. Get to know other men in a different way via Coffeeteria, Happy Hours, Lunches. Take the “scary” step into a 3rd F group. Trust me, there are no snakes at these events
most of the time and you will be surprised at how your home life starts to transform for the better by the wisdom you gain during these conversations.
THANKS TO ALL THE MEN WHO VOLUNTEERED TO PUT THIS GREAT EVENT ON! WELL DONE AS ALWAYS!
SPECIAL THANKS TO GOODFELLA FOR HIS LEADERSHIP AND FRIENDSHIP. HIS PASSION AND FAITH (DURING RECENT TRIALS) HAS BEEN A GREAT INSPIRATION TO ME! THANKS FOR SHARPENING MY IRON (NOT A JOKE)!