Its’ official, today marks the beginning of the second half of 2020. 17 PAX (including one 2.0) decided to kick it off by making themselves a little stronger. Temperature was acceptable for July 1st but the humidity was @ 100%. YHC broke a sweat just delivering the disclaimer.
Here’s what went down.
Mosey over to the far parking lot for a little warm up.
Warm-Up Exercises in cadence:
- SSH x 15
- Imperial Walkers x 15
- Merkins x 15
- Mountain Climbers x15
- LSS x15
Mosey over to the rock pile. Pick your poison and set up in lot next to rock pile.
WAVE 1: Rock/Burpee Set (3 Repetitions)
- With rocks: Curls x15, Thrusters x15, Triceps Extensions x15
- Run around the traffic circle, up to the portico, and do Burpees x10
- Return to your rock, wait for the 6 to get in
Return rocks from whence they came. Head down the long straight and over to the Avenue of Trees.
WAVE 2: Avenue of Trees (Triple B’s)
- Alternate the following exercises between each tree (Bear Crawl | Broad Jump | Backward Lunge)
- Down one way, and of course, back. Although, changed up the exercises to Bear Crawl | Forward Lunge | Sprints due to the overwhelming support and delight of the first set.
Mosey over to the light post in the middle of the larger parking lot section. During this run, Stone Cold asked if we would be making a detour into the playground sand to do a set of “Sugar Cookies”. Not 100% sure what that meant but am tucking that away for a later Q. Appreciate that Stone Cold.
WAVE 3: Starfish in the parking lot
- @Start/Center: LBCs x20
- CORNER 1: Jump Lunges x20
- CORNER 2: Monkey Humpers x20 (@ Meathead Corner)
- CORNER 3: WWII Sit-Ups x20
- CORNER 4: Mike Tysons x20
Plank variations while we wait for the 6 to get in. Last stop, the North Face.
WAVE 4: North Face Loop
- Squats x10 @ the bottom
- Sprint to top
- CCDs at the Top x10
Mosey (drag ourselves) back to Launch Point
Just enough time for Freddie Mercuries x20 and then called time. Followed by Countorama, Nameorama, and YHC with the takeout prayer.
- Mumblechatter was a little lighter than normal this morning. Even during the initial rock set it was eerily quiet. Took a little warming up but it finally broke out. Topics included, “Why they passed a law saying it was illegal to marry your cousin” (Not sure who this was but I bet his family reunions are a blast) and also a brief mention of the 1980s classic Airwolf.
- Got some good overwhelming support for the Triple Bs portion of today’s beatdown. Wanted to make sure everyone was ready to show off those legs at the beach this summer.
- Hope we lightened the mood of the Meathead gang by providing a little Monkey Humper distraction. Those guys take their kettlebelling seriously.
- It sounds like we’ll be having a convergence this Friday @ Kevlar. Centurion, and I think Joust, will all be meeting @ 6:00am at the Kevlar site in Matthews. Check the website/slack for confirmation.
- Anvil needs a few good Qs in the upcoming weeks. If you haven’t Q’d in a while or you need to hit your quota for the back half of 2020 here’s a link to the SignUpGenius: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0c4fa5ae28a0fa7-anvil
- Getting back to the title of this backblast, “Re-commit to making yourself better”. One of the things I committed to do earlier on during this whole COVID saga was to make sure that I came out of it a better version of myself. For me, that’s been physically, mentally, and spiritually. Each of you has been a tremendous part of helping me improve physically. The mental and spiritual parts have been a little tougher, especially as the news continues to swirl and the end may not be any closer than it was 3 months ago. Regardless, I want to challenge each of you to commit (or re-commit) to finding a way to create a better version of you during this time. You’ll feel the impact individually but so will your families, your friends, and those around you. Each of us has our own challenges and difficulties that we’re facing and I’m not sure where each of you is at personally, but I’ll commit to each of you to do my part to help you reach that goal. Stay safe this July 4th.